Of this very classic building, built by architect Oscar François, we should only remember the ceramics that decorate the upper floors. Executed in 1897 by the great artist Henri Privat-Livemont, they represent an allegory of trade, industry, flower women, and flowers in a pure Art Nouveau style. These remarkable ceramics were made in the Boch earthenware workshops in La Louvière.
At the time of its splendor, the building housed a large household linen store as evidenced by the ceramic inscriptions between two floors. It was then visited by the Brussels bourgeoisie.
Fallen out of favor in the 1960s, like unfortunately many other institutions in Brussels, it was restored early 2000s, subsidized by the City of Brussels.
The lower floors are completely degraded, but make the effort to look up to admire this beautiful testimony of Art Nouveau (concert binoculars would be very useful).
BRU52 - Unless otherwise stated © www.admirable-facades.brussels for all photos