Modernist style building built between 1935 and 1938. Designed, after national competition, by architect Joseph Diongre. The competition was judged by 13 jurors including Victor Horta, Jean-Baptiste Dewin and Louis Van Hove.
This building housed the headquarters of the INR (Institut National de Radiodiffusion) for 35 years, until the arrival of television. It was one of the first radio houses in Europe after London and Berlin.
Oddly enough, the large turret that makes all its personality was not on Diongre's plans, it was the engineer Raymond Braillard who would add it. This turret gives it the appearance of a large ocean liner. The building had 12 recording studios including the large studio 4, today the main concert hall and “residence” of the Brussels Philharmonic since 2005.
After the radio moved to Reyers in 1974, the building fell into disuse and escaped demolition. Classified in 1994, it was saved in 1998 by a group of private and public investors.
The Samyn Architects Office was responsible for its rehabilitation between 1998 and 2002. Today it is a very active cultural center, with cinema, concerts and exhibitions taking place throughout the year. The large cafes on the ground floor have regained their former glory, and brought the place back to life. To visit the interior, you must take advantage of the shows that are given there... to the site HERE
IXE27 - Unless otherwise stated © Admirable-facades-Brussels for all photos