Designed in 1907 by architects Constant Bosmans and Henri Vandeveld (not to be confused with Henry Van de Velde), for Emile Waxweiler, professor at ULB (Université Libre de Bruxelles), and first director of the Solvay Sociological Institute.
This vast building has a fairly classic facade, inspired by geometric Art Nouveau.
In 1908, architect Léon Sneyers remodeled the facade as well as certain interior decorations in "Viennese Secession" style, as evidenced by the engraved street number.
Architects Bosmans and Vandeveld (who were brothers-in-law) signed many projects for the Solvay family for almost a quarter of a century.
A few steps to the right, the beautiful Fournier house, at number 45.
SCH11 - Unless otherwise stated © Admirable-facades-Brussels for all photos