Vast building erected in 1928 by the fabric company Hoguet, to plans by architect Jean Lico, in an industrial Art Deco style, still tinged with classicism.
The building housed the spinning and clothing workshops and the apartments of the Hoguet family.
The clearly visible Hoguet name has remained at the top of the facade.
Operated until 1970 by Jean Hoguet who, without heirs, bequeathed the building to the town of Saint Gilles with the mission of making it a place of culture.
It was initially occupied by the town's music academy. Then, threatened with destruction during the metro construction, it was saved by a residents' committee!
Since 1997, and after transformation, the building has become the Maison du Livre, a very active municipal library.
The interior spaces have been preserved, and the facade, classified since 1998, has not been altered at all.
SGI12 - Unless otherwise stated © www.admirable-facades.brussels for all photos