Large Modern villa built by architect Jacques Dupuis in 1946/48, for his older brother Paul-Victor. True manifesto work of the architect between tradition and modernity.
As in most of the houses built by Dupuis, the facade on the street side is blind, except for the side wing built later in the 1950s. All living spaces are on the garden side.
The beautiful front door is surrounded by a very "Fifties" baroque decor. It’s the only ornament of the facade on the street side.
The large square natural stone tower that protects the house and includes the garage draws on medieval history.
At the time of construction, the municipal planners forced the owner to plant a hedge of poplars, in order to hide the villa from the street, because it did not correspond to the established aesthetic criteria…
An admirable and truly astonishing house that we can only see from the street.
Listed building since September 2000.
WSP10 - Unless otherwise stated © www.admirable-facades.brussels for all photos